Friday, April 8, 2011

I think I'm turning Japanese.

Yes, I know what that song means. No, I'm not really turning Japanese.

But there WAS an explosion of flowers today.

(heehee, I crack myself up)

Anyhooooo, Josh and I headed out to the Japanese Gardens in Kaiserslautern today. In German, the Japanischer Garten (the J pronounced as a Y).



It was a nice, quiet little oasis in the middle of a pretty big city. As is the Aycock luck, half of the place was under construction for the opening of their season. And when was the first day of opening season? April 1st...a week ago....don't you think it would probably be a good idea to have ALL OF THE FLIPPING CONSTRUCTION done BEFORE opening season?



Did I just sound like an ugly American?

But I digress. It really was a nice walk through the gardens, and a lot of the cherry blossom trees were blooming. There was a wedding party there as well, with a very pretty bride in a red wedding dress (which I think is a normal wedding dress color for some Asians).

Here's where I start to get politically incorrect, people. Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, cuz e'erybody gettin' inappropriate up in here.

I just think it's SO WEIRD to see Asians speaking German!!! Apparently there are quite a few Asians in Germany, at least we saw a lot today (yes, we were at the Japanese gardens, but still....) You know how we have Asian-fusion cuisine in the US?? What do you think Asian-German fusion food would be? Teriyaki schnitzel? Sushi with mashed potatoes instead of rice? Ooh, wasabi sausage!!!

Actually, that sounds really delicious....well, wasabi and veggie sausage, maybe.

But I still think it's weird to hear Asian people speaking German.

On that note - after the gardens, we went to what is basically the German equivalent of a Super Walmart - called 'Globus'. It. Was. AWESOME! So many interesting and different things. (sidenote - I just giggled as I typed that last sentence. My grandmommy says that ALL THE TIME!!! "oh, well that's interesting and different" haha). In addition to all the regular grocery & sundry items, they had aisles and aisles of beer, and aisles and aisles of Haribo gummies & other various candy. Basically - a girl's dream come true. Or at least mine - alcohol and sugar. YES!

We actually only ended up buying one thing, though. Grapefruit orangina. Now, I LOVE orangina, but have never seen the grapefruit version. Let me tell you, it's like drinking unicorn spit, it's that good.

Now, we have a big day tomorrow - off to Heidelberg for the day. And on that note, it's time for me to relax with the honey, watch a movie, and dream of sauerkraut and kimchee.

Wait a minute....maybe that's the key!!! Pickled cabbage!!! Apparently, it can unite continents.

No comments:

Post a Comment