Thursday, June 2, 2011

25 Favorite Eats

I've really been trying to watch what I eat. And by watch, I mean look at the food as I shove it into my face as fast as possible.

But seriously, I have been eating healthier since I've been here. Fruit for lunch. Salads for dinner. No wine or beer, which is really the hardest, suckiest thing a piece of cake. However...I'm hungry. So to suppress my appetite, I'm going to write about food, instead of eat it. Although I have to say, it's easy to keep from snacking all day when foraging for food means wandering around the apartment via crutches, wearing a plastic bag around your arm to collect said foraged food. Before the hubster goes to work, he leaves me a bowl of washed fruits and vegetables, and a couple glasses of water. Basically, I'm a hamster.

And on with the list:

1. Lemongrass tofu from Kim Son in Houston!! A special treat for when my mother and I visit H-town. If I'm ever put on death row, this will be my last meal.

2. Chipotle burritos. 'Nuff said.

3. My mother's cranberry & apple pie. My mother's pie is the reason my dad married her. And that sounds dirty, so I'm moving on.

The (maybe a little too) happy couple.










4. Olives. I love everything about olives. I can eat them until my ankles swell up to the size of Gilbert Grape's mother's jowls.

5. Cheese and bread. I have often said that I would rather have cheese and bread for dessert any day over cookies and cakes. I freaking love cheese.



I'm home, Grandpa. I'm home.














6. Tex-Mex. Oh, my long-lost love. I haven't had any good Tex-Mex food since leaving the Great State in 2006. Manna from Heaven. Ambrosia. All that is good and right with the world resides in true Tex-Mex restaurants.

7. Any food my Grandmother has touched. That woman can make magic, I'm telling you. She is God's gift to taste buds.


This really is just a typical meal at Grandmother & Grandpa's house. Full of the sounds of love, laughter, and bellies about to explode.















8. Shrimp night at my Grandmommy & Grandaddy's house. I used to spend every weekend at their house, and every once in awhile, we would have a shrimp night. She would painstakingly peel about a million shrimp, and we'd have them in two, maybe three ways. Shrimp cocktail, and fried shrimp (that had been battered with cracker crumbs). For my 8 year old's mind, it was a luxurious feast.

9. Navajo tacos. My family always traveled A LOT, and whenever we took road trips, we almost always ended up in New Mexico, and Colorado (normally on the way up to Vancouver Island to visit my dad's side of the family, or visiting Ouray with Grandmommy). Anywho, we would always stop and get Navajo tacos. We were no strangers to walking out of restaurants once we found out that this delectable dish wasn't served at said establishment. Navajo tacos are basically tacos served on fry bread. Oy, I just drooled on myself.


Start here. Go 10 miles in any direction, and you should be able to find one.

10. Fried pickles. Salt and grease. What's NOT to love?

11. Cornbread and molasses. Paging Ma Ingalls to the kitchen.


12. Greek salad. Feta, olives, artichoke hearts...I should have been born along the Mediterranean.














(a million points if you can guess where this photo was taken)

13. Kale. Technically, the only kale I've ever had was at a tapas bar I went to in Victoria, BC with my cousin. But it was seriously awesome. Tangy and crisp, I could eat that every day and be happy. (oh, and the tapas bar had awesome martinis)

14. Mac & cheese. Because I'm a lactose-lovin' carboholic.

15. Buffalo wing sauce. I know this is weird, considering I'm a vegetarian that has never had a buffalo wing in her entire life. But, I love the flavor of wing sauce. I've had it with fried mozzarella, and on burgers. Really, the best veggie burger I've ever had is from Buffalo Wild Wings - and I always have them slather on some of their Hot (and occasionally, the Wild) sauce.

16. Blintzes, bagels, and latkes. I think I'm a Jewish girl trapped in a Gentile's body. My mother is definitely a Jewish mother, as well. Hell, I think one of the reasons why we used to always watch Barbra Streisand musicals together was so she could perfect her accent.
This is definitely my mother's sister from another mister.

]

17. Smoked salmon. Yes, I'm a vegetarian. No, I don't eat fish anymore. But I have very fond memories of eating my weight in smoked salmon on numerous occasions when visiting my family in Campbell River, BC. Not only is smoked salmon delicious, but you will make fast friends with any cats in a 25 mile radius.

18. Berries!! Another fond, family memory. Whether we picked our own salmonberries, raspberries, and blueberries in Canada, or we picked our own dewberries and strawberries in Texas, summers were always full of berries! Jams, pies, fresh with real whipped cream...yum!

19. Spiciness. I'm a true Texan. I love burn-your-butthole spiciness in all foods. Crushed red pepper is a staple in our house.
If you're mouth doesn't feel like this when you eat, you're doing something wrong.


20. Potbelly Sandwiches. If you've never been to Potbellys, find the nearest one and GO NOW!! These sandwiches are seriously the best I've ever had. They come with a garnish of spicy pickled vegetables (peppers, olives, cauliflower, carrots, etc.) that is so good, we've bought jars of it before just so we could have it at home. Oh, what I wouldn't give for one of those sandwiches right now.

21. Ohio pizza. Thin crust, cut into itty-bitty squares, with LOADS of toppings (I always got the black & green olive combo). I think they're cut into small squares so you can shove more into your mouth at once.

22. Creamed tuna on toast. This is another one from the memory bank. Mom used to always make this whenever we weren't having a traditional dinner (say, dad was working late or something). We almost always had family dinners every night, so I didn't get this dish that often. But maaaaaaan, did I love it. Basically just a roux mixed with a can of tuna, and dumped over toast. Looked like the cat threw up, but it was goooood!


Rufus, loves to make his own creamed tuna on toast and leave it for me to step on in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom.











23. Mango Magic or Blimey Limey smoothies (made with Splenda, not sugar) from Tropical Smoothie. I used to have these smoothies for lunch almost every day when we lived in Virginia.

24. Taco Cabana. 1 small quesadilla with pico de gallo and 1 black bean taco, to-go, please.

25. Fries with malt vinegar & salt. Fish & chips have always been a big thing for me. We used to eat at this floating fish & chip shop in Victoria. Josh and I also went to "the most famous F&C shop in the world" when we were on our honeymoon in Ireland after which I got horribly sick. I just love everything about tart vinegar & yummy salt covering fried potatoes.



By the way, I'm pretty sure it was drinking the tap water that made me sick, not the fish and chip shop.








I think I gained about 30lbs from writing this entry. Time to go eat a 35 calorie cup of unsweetened applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment