Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ew, stress!

My next driver's test is tomorrow. I feel MUCH more prepared, but who knows. Pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that I pass it this time. Josh will NEVER let me live it down if I don't.

Other than that, not much has gone on the past couple of days. The weather has been high fifties and sunny, frosty at night. Today, Josh and I did some kind of newcomer's orientation that went on fooooorrreeeevveerrrrrrrrrr. But, there were some good points to it. We learned more about the tipping situation at restaurants. The general rule is 2 - 5 euros. 2 euros if the service was just average, blah, and as much as 5 euros if the service is spectacular. Any more than that, generally, and people will get offended - like we're trying to prove something. We also learned that if the little old neighbor lady next door is spying on you, there is no need to panic. They spy on everyone (in a good-natured way). Also, German's do NOT like being disturbed by noise. 1-3pm is quiet time in neighborhoods (no lawn mowing) and Sundays are also quiet days. AND, it is illegal to wash your car in your own driveway. If the police see you, you can get a ticket of up to 5000 euro. They consider that pollution - even if you just take a hose and no soap to your car.

Josh and I have been desperately trying to find a car to buy. I will eventually need my own car, and his car doesn't get in until April 11th, and it has cost us $250 to rent the SmartCar JUST for this week.

Speaking of - I absolutely CANNOT believe that we've only been here a week. I feel like we've been here for a month already. It has just been nuts!

A couple other things - Josh and I get free language classes (Rosetta Stone and something called Mango Language - which is supposedly better than Rosetta). We actually can log on to them from our home computer, which is really exciting to me!! I'll be a German speaker in no time!

Ok, that may be a slight exaggeration.....but maybe I'll get beyond the 4 words I know. Maybe I'll get up to a 10-word vocabulary!!

No comments:

Post a Comment