Thursday, July 21, 2011

Issues

I am Courtney, and I am a complainer.

I really try not to be. I hate it when other people complain. But dammit, sometimes it's just so easy. Now, I'm a happy person. I love life. I love where I am in this world. I love my house, and my family, and friends, etc. etc. etc.

But I would like to complain about some things. Yeah yeah, another post in which I complain about silly things that have no bearing on life. Stuff it.

So, here are some issues I'm having with my house.

1. All of the countertops in the kitchen, and all of the bathroom sinks, were apparently built for midgets. Now, I'm an Amazon of a woman, but I really think it's slightly ridiculous for the kitchen counters to be crotch-high. Makes for some difficult baking.

2. Tile floors. This really is not the house's fault - just a problem with the family dynamics. The 1st and 2nd floors are all tile (which will be AWESOME in the winter, because they're heated). This means that pet-hair tumbleweeds form in less than 12 hours. I hate cleaning, and now I have to sweep every day. Suck. First thing on my Christmas list this year? A roomba. It's going to happen, people.

3. Stupid freaking tiny German washing machines with English instructions, only the instructions are for a different model of the same brand of washing machines. Somehow my whites just aren't getting as white.

4. Apparently, we have crazy German neighbors. Our landlord & his wife (who are extremely nice, good people) live next door to us. Well, across the street from them, lives a mean old goat, his wife, and the meanest little dog from hell. The old man yelled at Josh on Day 2 of us being here, because Josh was walking Sasha in front of the man's house, without a leash. (at least, that's what Josh could decipher was the reason) Although, every other German we've seen with a dog NEVER uses a leash. But anyway, we asked our landlord about this old man, and he says, "Oh, he is just a horrible, horrible, crazy man." So, now we don't feel so bad about letting Sasha off her leash. Besides, our landlord never has his dog on a leash. Also, apparently the crazy neighbors like to yell at each other. A lot. Outside...

5. Storage space. Germans just do not believe in closets. Thankfully there are just two of us, because there is no room for any more stuff (even though this house is flipping HUGE). We do have an attic, but apparently the Mister has an attic phobia. And I can't really climb up a ladder carrying heavy things, because of The Ankle.

6. German electrical plugs. Few and far between. Makes laying on the couch for while surfing the internet very inconvenient....well, if doing so for more than 3 hours....not that I ever do that, or anything...

7. Windows. Now, I love the German windows. They can open from the side, or from the top. And, the weather is so nice, we can leave the windows open all the time (houses don't have A/C here). HOWEVER, Germans do not do window screens. I have no idea why, but this fact means that we constantly have to deal with flies in the house. Which, actually, is just fine with Rufus. He gets to play Hunter all day long.

And......I think that's all the complaining I can do right now. It really takes it out of me.

Especially since, all in all, I LOVE this house, and I'm 100 times happier here than I ever was in stupid Dayton.

No comments:

Post a Comment